Thursday, June 18, 2009

Intern Introduction - Karima


Hello! My name is Karima Tawfik and I am very much looking forward to spending time in Kibera this summer. As an intern, I will be working for six weeks at the new computer lab with teachers and students to implement an informative and creative program that explores the functions of computers and the ways they can be used for educational and career-building purposes.

To give you an idea about my background, my father is from Cairo, Egypt and my mother is American. While I now live in Washington DC, I resided in Pakistan and Bangladesh for my early childhood years and have also spent time in Malawi and Egypt. Learning languages is something I find really rewarding — I speak French and some Arabic and am eager to practice Swahili!

I recently graduated from Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service where I studied international affairs and development, complementing my academics with a year in France at an Institute for Political Studies. In my free time, I enjoy nature activities including hiking, swimming, kayaking and skiing. At the university, I was part of a club that leads groups into the outdoors and it was in the mountains or on a river that we would learn from and teach each other about environmental awareness, group cooperation and camping ethics.

My hope for this summer is that we can together succeed in actualizing and maintaining a quality computer education program that caters to the interests and needs of students in Kibera. Upon my arrival in Nairobi, I will make sure to keep you updated on my initial impressions, challenges and inspirations as we embark on the KiberaOnline Schools project!

2 comments:

  1. Karima --
    welcome to Kibera. Your talents and passion will serve you well in this experience helping us out with a vital mission to bridge the digital divide for children in Kibera.

    As we say in Swahili, KARIBU!!! Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Karima!

    I'm glad to see there's a place where I can check up on your experience this summer and learn a bit more about what you and the organization are doing.

    Take Care,

    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete