Friday, January 6, 2012

THE JOURNEY OF A HOPEFUL SCHOLAR (Part 1)

Early in second term I registered for the Children of Kibera Foundation High school scholarship scheme and immediately rolled my sleeves to work given the very competitive nature of the scholarships. Hundreds apply each year and only ten are chosen. I have no option but to make the cut off points, for if I fail, that marks the end of my education as financially my family is not able to raise secondary education fees.

It is the 28th day of December 2011; the results that had been ringing in my mind throughout the festive seasons are out. To me these are not just results .It is my life. My bridge to a better future.

With instant messaging services, my mum picks up her mobile phone sends a short SMS and minutes later with tears of joy informs me that I have scored 407 out of the possible 500 points, we hug and pray but the joy is short lived for hours later, the reality sinks in, the reality of a misty future, my high school education hangs in the balance

Two days later I receive a call from Children of Kibera Foundation informing me that I have been shortlisted and inviting me for an initial meeting on the 6th of January.

I arrived at the meeting venue at around 10.30 and on the registration form I am number 28 and still counting, the main agenda at the meeting is to take us through the selection process and what is required of us. “Even though you have been shortlisted you are still not guaranteed a scholarship” These are words that echo in my mind as I leave the meeting room. I still remain hopeful; still, I am optimistic, I fight to keep my hope alive even though only ten will be chosen out of the many…

(To be continued)

These story applies to many bright but needy children from Kibera Slums,you can help us give them the bridge to a better future by making a donation, click HERE!



Congratulations for making the shortlist


What will tomorrow bring...


Keeping my hopes alive


My future in the balance


No comments:

Post a Comment