Friday, January 4, 2013

Zainab Joins Stanstead College (Quebec, Canada)



By Zainab-Children of Kibera Foundation's Pioneer Scholar.

My name is Zainab Abdallah Hussein, the pioneer beneficiary of Children of Kibera Foundation. Last Year November 9, 2011 my four year journey of high school reached its destination; as I completed my final Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) exam paper.
  A flashback to January 2008. This journey was more of a fantasy than reality.  This was around the time the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) exams results were out and calling letters from high schools were in. I thank God that I aced the exams, but there was a dull factor that darkened this bright moment for me: school fees.
   Most Students in Kibera- one of Africa’s largest slums do not get to realize their dreams and potential because of this limiting factor despite their good exam results. My fear at that time was that I might  be one of them. That really troubled me because being the first one in my family to qualify to go to a top performing high school, in future, the burden of my family would squarely lie on my shoulders. I just could not stomach the thought of having my peers’ fate!
   My quest in search of a scholarship to pursue my studies landed me to the Children of Kibera Foundation, a charitable non-governmental organization that gave me a full 4 year scholarship! I was ecstatic and the darkness that initially surrounded me gradually disappeared. This was an opportunity for me to quench my thirst for knowledge and at the same time, have an avenue to realize my dreams of making a difference in my Kibera, a place I call home.
   February 11, 2008 I was at the State House Girls High School in Nairobi. With the first step I took in this great school, it dawned on me that this was no longer a fantasy but  rather a tangible reality! Tears of joy cascaded down my visage as the joy I felt was indescribable! So I made a vow to do my best there as my vision was not only to finish high school but to go further to university.
  Today, December 27th 2012, I am filled with mixed emotions of joy, anxiousness, curiosity and gratitude. I am leaving for Quebec, Canada on a quest of adventure and knowledge! I am joining Stanstead College. I am going to take full advantage of this opportunity presented to me so that I may also come and give back to this very society that has uplifted me to greater heights.
 A big “thank you” to all who have been with me in this journey; giving me either emotional, Psychological and financial support. I truly do appreciate it a lot, from the bottom of my heart.

Regards,
Zainab Abdallah Hussein.
Zainab and CoKF scholars who came to bid her farewell

Zainab and her mom arrive at JKIA

Zainab arrives safely in Canada.



1 comment:

  1. former classmate..n friend( kim )January 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM

    congratulations!!!!!

    u r the new iron lady

    make us more proud of u

    #role model#
    #ICON#

    ReplyDelete