Monday, July 20, 2009

Intern Introduction - Tamara


Hello! My name is Tamara Drossart, and I just graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison this Spring 2009 with a degree in Rural Sociology and a degree in Conservation Biology. I have been hired as an intern for the Children of Kibera Foundation, working with Sarah, Karima, James and Tim. We are teaching essential and much-needed computer skills such as typing, formating documents, and researching through the internet to the students of Kibra Academy.

During a one-year exchange program with the University of Cape Town, I gained some experience teaching an after-school program in the township of Khayletshia. I hope I can take my experience in Cape Town and apply what I have learned about working with educating and connecting with students who come from a different culture and environment.

We are also in the processes of planning a weekend retreat for some of the top High School students in Kibera. This retreat will build on leadership and team-building skills and also serve as a mentoring program through one-on-one dialougue with other Children of Kibera Foundation interns as well as fellow peers. While I was in High School, I also attended a Leadership Seminar with over 200 other high school students from across the state Wisconsin. This was a turning point in my life, and I returned as a mentor for the same leadership seminar annually for three years after my first year participating. I hope that I can share some of the inspiration I received as a high school student by serving as a mentor and a role model to the future leaders of Kibera. I have a passion for doing what I can for the needs of the community and am planning to enter the Peace Corps in February of 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment