Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Intern Introduction - Tim

Mine is not quite the intro given all thats been blogged by the other interns already. Since its my first post on the blog, its an intro nonetheless.

Tim Kinyanjui is my name and completed my university studies at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology about three months ago. I studied Mathematics and Chemistry for my undergraduate degree but also graduated with a Diploma in IT last year.

Working with Children of kibera foundation as an intern has been quite an opportunity. Having worked on several community projects,mostly in Kenya and a few in Australia, I was confident i knew what to expect.. until Jeff took us on a tour of Kibera on the first day. I was humbled.But more than that, Challenged! Couldnt wait for action to begin

Preparing the computers and setting up the lab wasnt too hard a task thanks to the nice team of interns that i am working with; teaching was. Learning to be a good teacher has been an interesting experience. Given my love for IT, i always assumed guys knew the stuff or would easily catch on until i got myself defining what a computer is and pointing at the different parts. I have learnt to appreciate teachers for their patience! Amongst many, thats one lesson i wont lose in along time.

On the other hand, its been very motivating to see the students so enthusiastic about the lessons. Always eager to learn and take way fresh knowledge.The Kibra Academy administration has been very supportive and from the onset, did well to ensure the room was fixed to accomodate the computers, helped put together a timetable and ensure the students were well informed.

I believe there is a great deal to be done but every evening, though exhausted, i always look forward to another day of learning at Kibra....

No comments:

Post a Comment