Friday, November 16, 2012

I am Rising into a Role Model.



By Toma Doka- Freshman United States International University-Kenya.

I vividly remember my experience the first day I stepped in high school, the confusion and the fear that gripped my being in that unfamiliar place. I never thought the same feeling would haunt me the first day I stepped at the gates of United States International University (USIU). Like any other freshman, I was never prepared for this kind of change. I guess, this was the only part of the high school syllabus that we were never taught.  
My encounter with individuals of divergent background has challenged me to consider new ideas and attitude.  I managed to overcome the culture shock and adopted the existing culture within this institution. It was never easy but still, I managed.
Life is more interesting now as I acquire new knowledge every day. The kind of knowledge that gives me hope that there is a better tomorrow, not just for me but for everyone who believes in the power of quality education. This is a message I would love to send to every child who hails from my neighborhood- Kibera.
My stay in this university has liberated me. I voice my opinions with confidence regardless of what impression other try to create out of my actions. I believe that after four years of my stay here, I will rise into a role model status, an iconic figure of hope especially to the boys and girls who come from my   backyard, Kibera.  
A new phase of life



Toma is one of our pioneer scholars

No comments:

Post a Comment